Restoring a folder from Recycle Bin fails due to error “Failed to restore item. The path //Application Folder/BIVariants Folder/…/… does not exist
- Failed to restore item. The path //Application Folder/BIVariants Folder/AR0LDIsmeFJHs3BJQqwH_Kc/AbFbYRwU_FVFrgesF2w9ZQE does not exist
- The error is observed when attempting to restore a folder from the Recycle Bin
- Other objects and folders can be deleted and restored without issue
- SAP BusinessObjects Business Intelligence Platform 4.2 SP02
Reproducing the Issue
- Create a Web Intelligence Report containing prompts
- Refresh the report and create a prompt variant (BI Variant)
- Save the report inside a folder which can be deleted
- Delete the folder containing the report
- (Only on non-4.2 SP02 versions) Using the SDK or other methods, delete a folder in the folder path leading to the BI Variant
- Attempt to restore the folder from the Recycle Bin
- Observe that the error occurs
- In 4.2 SP02, this is caused by an incorrect query which causes the system to be unable to locate the path to restore to.
- In other versions, the folder path leading to the location where the BI Variant is stored has been changed, and the Recycle Bin can not restore the object successfully.
4.2 SP02 workarounds:
- Update to SP03 or higher where this issue is resolved.
- Follow KBA 1275068 and restore a backup of the environment to a point before the objects were deleted, and promote them to the problematic environment, or alternately, restore a backup of the system.
If this is due to a missing folder:
The following steps assume that the error seen is “Failed to restore item.The path //Application Folder/BIVariants Folder/AR0LDIsmeFJHs3BJQqwH_Kc/AbFbYRwU_FVFrgesF2w9ZQE does not exist”
Identify the missing folder:
- Navigate to query builder – http://<hostname>:<port>/AdminTools
- Execute the following query: “select si_name, si_id, si_children from ci_appobjects where si_name = ‘Application Folder'”
- Note down the SI_ID of the Application Folder
- Execute the query “select si_name, si_id, si_children from ci_appobjects where si_name = ‘BIVariants Folder’ and si_parentid = <SI_ID of Application Folder>”
- Note down the SI_ID of the BIVariants Folder
- Execute the query “select si_name, si_id, si_children from ci_appobjects where si_name = ‘AR0LDIsmeFJHs3BJQqwH_Kc’ and si_parentid = <SI_ID of BIVariants Folder>”
- Repeat steps 5-6 with any subsequent folders in the path seen in the error message.
- If the query does not return any results, write down the si_name and the si_parentid in the query
The following script and step are for BI Platform running on a Windows OS:
- Download the “addfolder.txt” file attached to the incident
- Rename the file to “addfolder.js” and place it on a machine with the BI Platform installed
- Modify the script and replace the fields inside the logon details with appropriate values – username (administrator is recommended), password, system (ex. localhost:6400)
- Replace the <changeme> tag with the si_name found above
- Replace the <SI_PARENTID> tag with the si_parentid found above
- Save the script
- Navigate to the folder containing the script in a command prompt window and execute the script with “cscript addfolder.js
- Verify that the folder now exists in query builder using the query that did not return results
- Attempt to restore the folder from the recycle bin and repeat the steps if necessary for any additional missing folders